You will notice that people are talking about the Singapore Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) updates to employment pass eligibility that is effective from 1 September 2023.
In an effort to augment its workforce with international talent, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) of Singapore has introduced a new points-based Complementarity Assessment Framework, or COMPASS, as part of its evolving Employment Pass regulations. This innovative framework aims to provide clarity and objectivity in assessing the eligibility of foreign professionals seeking employment in Singapore.
Understanding COMPASS: A Shift in EP Eligibility Criteria
Transforming the Selection Process
Developed by the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore, COMPASS serves as a comprehensive system designed to evaluate Employment Pass (EP) applicants based on their qualifications, skills, and work experience. This represents a significant change compared to the previous selection criteria and leads to a more transparent and fairer evaluation process.
Key Components of COMPASS
1. Qualification Assessment: COMPASS places a strong emphasis on assessing the alignment of an applicant’s educational qualifications with the job role they intend to take on in Singapore.
2. Skills Evaluation: The framework assesses the relevance and demand for the skills possessed by the applicant in Singapore’s labor market.
3. Experience Recognition: COMPASS acknowledges the value of previous work experience and evaluates its relevance and duration concerning the applied EP.
Benefits of COMPASS
1. Objective Evaluation: Unlike the previous EP criteria, which primarily relied on a fixed monthly salary threshold, COMPASS provides a more comprehensive assessment.
2. Enhanced Employability: The framework aims to attract individuals with specialized skills, contributing significantly to Singapore’s economic growth.
3. Simplified Application Process: Applicants can expect a smoother EP application process with clearly defined guidelines and structured assessments.
Navigating the COMPASS System: A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Self-Assessment: Prospective EP applicants are encouraged to conduct a preliminary self-assessment using the COMPASS system online, allowing them to gauge their eligibility before proceeding with the formal application. The new SAT system requires users to log in with his/her SingPass prior to using the function.
2. Document Preparation: Assemble all necessary documents, including educational certificates, professional qualifications, and employment history records.
3. Online Application: Submit the EP application through MOM’s online portal, ensuring that all information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
4. Evaluation Period: The COMPASS evaluation process typically takes around three weeks, during which the framework assesses the qualifications, skills, and experience of the applicant.
5. Outcome Notification: Once the evaluation is complete, applicants will receive notification regarding the status of their EP application. Successful candidates will be granted an Employment Pass, enabling them to work in Singapore.
Contact Cultivar for your free EP pre-application consultation!
If you have an Employment Pass (EP) or any other MOM passes like Work Permit or S Pass to apply or renew, feel free to email us at email@example.com with subject header ‘Free EP Consultation”, or call us at 6974-6214 for our Immigration Consultants to reach out to you for complimentary advice.